I Know I Am Enough. So Why Do I Still Feel Small?

Lately, I’ve been thinking about how tiring it is to feel small in a place where you never really intended to compete with anyone. I’ve spent a considerable amount of time trying to unlearn comparison, trying to convince myself that someone else’s achievement has nothing to do with mine, that everybody has their own pace, their own circumstances, their own version of what a good life looks like. I’ve been trying to let things be. To let people be better at certain things without immediately turning it into a reflection of myself. To be genuinely happy for someone without secretly wondering what their success says about me. I thought I was getting better at it. And maybe I am. But there are still places where I walk in as myself and somehow leave feeling like a lesser version of that person.
That’s the strange part about comparison. Sometimes it doesn’t even begin with you. You can come into a room with no intention of proving anything, no desire to win, no imaginary scoreboard in your head, and still somehow feel that there is one. You notice the way people talk about achievements, the things that seem to matter, the kind of person who gets noticed, the kind of success that gets validated. None of it is necessarily malicious. No one has to tell you that you are behind. Sometimes the atmosphere is enough. Sometimes you simply absorb the measurements that exist around you, and before you know it, you are measuring yourself too.
And I’m tired of that.
I’m tired of the version of myself that immediately becomes hyper-aware of where I stand whenever I enter certain spaces. I’m tired of wondering whether I am doing enough, whether I have accomplished enough, whether I am interesting enough, capable enough, successful enough. I’m tired of this quiet instinct to prove that I deserve the things I already have. It feels almost ridiculous sometimes, because I know, rationally, that I have worked hard to get here. I know the things I’ve sacrificed. I know the days I kept going when I really didn’t want to. I know the person I was before all of this. And yet, put me in the wrong room, and suddenly none of that feels particularly convincing.
Maybe that is what insecurity really does. It doesn’t always make you think you are worthless. Sometimes it simply makes you feel like you need to provide evidence.
Evidence that you belong here. Evidence that you are competent. Evidence that you are not falling behind. Evidence that the things you have achieved were not accidental. Evidence that you are, in fact, enough.
And I think I am exhausted from collecting evidence.
There is something peculiar about becoming a doctor and still having to negotiate with the feeling of not being enough. From the outside, it can seem like the title should settle something. As if becoming a doctor should finally quiet that particular part of your brain that keeps asking whether you are doing well enough. But it doesn’t. A title can give you a profession, a responsibility, maybe even a certain kind of recognition, but it cannot give you the internal permission to feel sufficient. You can become the person you once dreamed of becoming and still look around the room wondering why everybody else seems to have figured something out that you haven’t.
Being a doctor doesn’t mean that you automatically feel enough.
And perhaps that is because enoughness was never really about what we do.
It has so much more to do with who we are surrounded by.
There are people who make you feel like your existence does not need a justification. People who can see you on an ordinary day, when you are not particularly accomplished or productive or impressive, and somehow you still feel worthy of taking up space. There are people who don’t make you feel like you have to constantly explain yourself. People whose presence makes you remember that you are more than the things you have achieved.
Then there are places where you become painfully aware of yourself.
Places where you start editing your own story before telling it. Places where you compare the trajectory of your life with everyone else’s without even meaning to. Places where you begin to wonder whether the things you used to be proud of are actually impressive enough. Places where you feel yourself becoming smaller, quieter, more self-conscious, not because anyone explicitly asked you to, but because somehow you learned that this was the safest way to exist there.
I used to think that whenever I felt insecure, it meant there was something wrong with me that I needed to fix. So I tried to fix it. I worked harder. I reminded myself to be grateful. I told myself not to compare. I tried to become more secure, more confident, more detached from external validation. I thought if I could just become comfortable enough with myself, then no room, no person, no achievement would ever make me feel small again.
But I’m starting to question that.
Maybe not every insecurity is a personal failure.
Maybe sometimes, the environment has something to do with it.
Maybe there are rooms where even the most secure version of yourself would eventually get tired.
And I think there is a certain kind of maturity in being able to admit that.
Not everything has to become a lesson about resilience. Not every uncomfortable environment needs to be endured until you become stronger. Sometimes a place simply isn’t good for you. Sometimes the dynamic is exhausting. Sometimes the culture of comparison is so deeply embedded that you can spend all your energy trying not to participate in it, while still feeling its effects.
I don’t want to live like that anymore.
I don’t want to turn every room into a referendum on my worth. I don’t want someone else being exceptional to make me question whether I am mediocre. I don’t want to look at another person’s life and instinctively search for the distance between theirs and mine. I don’t want to keep participating in a competition I never consciously signed up for.
I know that comparison will probably always exist somewhere in me. I’m not naive enough to think I can completely outgrow it. There will still be days when I feel behind. There will still be people who trigger that old familiar insecurity. There will still be rooms that make me question myself.
But maybe the goal was never to become someone who never feels insecure.
Maybe the goal is to stop treating insecurity as an objective assessment of who I am.
To understand that feeling small does not necessarily mean I am small.
That feeling behind does not necessarily mean I am behind.
That someone else being enough does not make me less enough.
And that I don’t have to prove my worth every time I enter a room.
I think I’m finally tired enough to let that be true.
I can want to grow without making growth a competition. I can admire someone without turning them into a benchmark. I can become a better doctor without needing to become a better doctor than someone else. I can be ambitious without making my entire existence about achievement.
Maybe that is what I have actually been looking for all this time, not a place where I am the best, but a place where I don’t feel the need to measure myself at all.
Comments
Post a Comment